- Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
- Place valuables in the back of the unit.
- Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
- Place your storage items on 2×4 boards or on pallets to guard against dampness. Any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
- Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 lbs. (It’s best not to put too much in each box).
- List contents of boxes on all four sides, number boxes and seal them with tape.
- Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, nick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in table clothes, towels or blankets to prevent breakage
- Larger appliances make excellent “packing cases” for blankets, towels, table clothes and clothes.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
- Tables having removable legs should be “broken down” to save space.
- Sofas and love-seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover under the item on the concrete. Cushions should be wrapped in plastic and placed on top.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust. (If it can’t be leaned with a wet cloth, be sure to cover it)
- If you stand mattresses on their side “prop” them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Rent the smallest amount of space you need and pack the space full.
- Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
- Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- If you are going to store food storage make sure that all food items are properly sealed in plastic containers.
- Use a good quality lock on your door. Cheap locks rust and do not provide good security.
- CAUTION: Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e. paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.)
Rent Self Storage Today
Find Self Storage facilities throughout Utah and Louisiana.